Saturday, December 2, 2017

That Infamous "Heart Horse"

All equestrians have heard the term "heart horse", the horse that is the equine equivalent of your soulmate/ That partner that you would do anything for. I have had many horses over the last 20+ years, and some of them felt like they could be my heart horse, a few of them were truly exceptional and I loved them very very much. But I didn't truly understand what finding your heart horse meant until the day that mine walked off of a trailer and right into my heart.

When I first decided to get a new horse, Albus was not what I thought I was looking for. I was dreaming of a tall, shiny bay warmblood or dappled grey sport horse that would be young and brave and well trained. My new horse and I would be competing over 2 ft courses by fall and showing beginner novice by the following spring. Instead what walked off that trailer was a big white ex carriage horse with no tail and no jumping experience. He was scared, abused, and 16 years old. When Albus arrived the sound of a whip would start him trembling, he would rather run away from me then let me on his back. The first time I took him to a horse show I learned that he is also terrified of other horses running up behind him. There were things he did that made me nervous for awhile, I won't lie. But the more time we spent together the more we have learned to trust each other. Last night for me was the proof that he is truly is everything I have ever asked for. I took him to a Christmas parade. It was a spur of the moment decision to bring him instead of my Clydesdale mare and he was amazing. It was dark and there were screaming kids, and other horses, and loud music and fire trucks and he just took it all in. The only issue we had was him getting cranky with me when I wouldn't let him trot!

This horse has shown me whats I've been missing with my other horses. He has given me confidence, he makes me want to go to the barn just so I can see his adorable face. I truly love this horse more then I can ever describe!! This pictures are in chronological order from when I got him until last nights parage!!



















1 comment:

  1. Yours was Phoenix then Albus, mine was Jasmine then Heidi. :D

    ReplyDelete